[Fedora-directory-users] How can I create a User ID alias?

Darren Fulton dfulton-lists at concepttechnologyinc.com
Tue Nov 8 03:40:12 UTC 2005

Jeff Clowser wrote:

> Richard Megginson wrote:
>
>> Darren Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> I have an in production application at our office (Web Calendar) that I
>>> am migrating to LDAP authentication using FDS from application internal
>>> authentication.
>>> Some of the users in the old program have user id's of $firstname and
>>> they don't work because everyone in the ldap server was setup as
>>> $firstinitial$lasthname.
>>> I have not been sucessful at changing the User ID's in the application
>>> from $firstname to $firstinitial$lastname.
>>>
>>> Question:  Is there a way that I can make aliases in FDS such that User
>>> ID james equals User ID jjones?  If so, how can I do it?
>>>

>> FDS does not support LDAP aliases.  However, you can have a single
>> entry with two different uid attributes - uid is a multi-valued
>> attribute.  This will allow you to do an LDAP search for uid=james or
>> uid=jjones and get the same entry.  If you want to use uid as the
>> naming attribute for the DN, you will just have to pick one of the
>> values.
>>
> Be careful with this, though - even though LDAP allows/defines uid to
> be multivalued, I have seen some apps that expect uid to be single
> valued, and choke or give unexpected results on users that are not.
> You'll only know, though, by trying it out and seeing if something
> breaks.  What is the web calendar app you are using?  Are you using
> any other apps that use your FDS?
>
> - Jeff

Hello,

The web calendar is "Web Calendar" ( http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php )
and I'm currently authenticating using http basic auth, over SSL using
mod_ldap in Apache.  User authenticates as jjones and if there is a
webcal user by the name of jjones, it pulls up his calendar.  My only
problem was that jjones (in this case) doesn't have a calendar, but user
james does.  I wanted it to recognize that jjones was james and it would
pull up the calendar.

Adding a second User ID for that user doesn't seem to accomplish my goal
in this case, by may help out in the future.  Thanks for the help.

Darren