[Fedora-directory-users] question about required fields and I18N issues

Chen Shaopeng chen_shaopeng at idsignet.com
Tue Nov 8 04:46:02 UTC 2005

speedy zinc wrote:

> But the console does not even display the content
> "correctly". We use the java sdk to get the data, and
> it is correct.
>
> We are a team of 5, with 5 different lanaguages. We
> aall
> develop on Linux, using utf8 environment. We can add
> entries using native characters, but despite setting
> our environment to the right locale, the console just
> displays some garbage characters.

The contents in the database has nothing to do with wether
the console can display or not though. If you see
"garbage" characters, it probably means the console actually
got the right data, except that it does not know how to
display correctly. Probably lack of the right font?

You can change the display font to see if it's right, go to
Edit -> Preferences -> Font, and select a font that can
display your native language.

And I don't think the console has localization for that many
languages either. It does not have localization for chinese
(maybe I'm wrong, but starting with "-l zh" or "-l zh_CN"
does not work).

The annoying thing we had with FDS is that the uid must be in
7-bit ascii (duh!). I don't know what does the LDAP specs said
(I haven't looked up yet), but it makes it impossible to have
user login name in chinese. That's a shame, coz directory server
is such an important piece of software.

To get around this, we add an attribute called "loginname", and
use that as the input to generate a hash, and use the hash as
the uid. According to the description of your project, you might
have to do this too :)

Hope that helps.

csp
--