[Fedora-directory-users] question about schema file keywords

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 19:20:21 UTC 2005

Mike Jackson wrote:

> Dominic Ijichi wrote:
>
>> isn't structural integrity a subset or by-product of schema
>> checking?  as in
>> isn't the correct hierarchical order of objectclass definition part
>> of the
>> schema just as the oid type of an attribute is?
>

>  You could say that anything which evaluates and constrains object
> composition rules is "schema checking". What "schema checking" had
> meant in practice, in the case of both OL and NDS/FDS, was something
> that 1) did not include structural integrity checking, and 2) could be
> disabled by the administrator. FDS still works like this. OL changed
> their interface forcibly, and it had 2 results: 1) people just didn't
> upgrade past 2.0.x, or 2) people couldn't figure out why their
> 3rd-party apps suddently stopped working.
>
>  It would be fine, IMO, to also add structural integrity checking to
> FDS. I am not against the idea at all. What is not fine is when you
> introduce a new constraint, and at the same time provide no option to
> disable that new constraint. You can not force a random array of
> 3rd-party LDAP enabled apps to become "structurally compliant"
> overnight or even in a year or two.

1) FDS should have the option to enforce structural object classes, off
by default (at least for 1 or 2 releases).
2) Most objectclasses should be AUXILIARY, not structural, unless they
subclass an existing structural object class.  Unfortunately, there are
a lot of structural object classes out there already.