[Fedora-directory-users] question about required fields and I18N issues

Chen Shaopeng chen_shaopeng at idsignet.com
Wed Nov 9 01:57:45 UTC 2005

Richard Megginson wrote:
> speedy zinc wrote:
>
>> --- Chen Shaopeng <chen_shaopeng at idsignet.com> wrote:
>>

>>> You can change the display font to see if it's
>>> right, go to
>>> Edit -> Preferences -> Font, and select a font that
>>> can
>>> display your native language.
>>>

>> hah, that's an easy one :) thanks.
>>
>> The only thing thouhg, there is no easy way to switch
>> font quickly. If I want to view greek contents, I have
>> to change to a different font. If I want to view
>> chinese
>> contents, I have to switch to a font that can handle
>> chinese charset.... man, that's not very productive.
>>

> That's an interesting problem.  Is there an app that can do that?

I see this as two problems:

1. Most fonts can only handle one charset, some can handle two, e.g.
some chinese fonts. The annoying thing, I can choose a font that
looks nice in chinese, but way ugly in english (most chinese fonts
are like that). Or I can choose a font that looks nice in english,
but almost unreadable in chinese (some microsoft chinese fonts are
like that). It would be really cool if a font can handle charset
of the major languages, and look decent too. And if the application
is in utf8, that should display properly for most.Then again, I'm
not a font designer, I can only wish.

2. The application can provide the UI that is a little easier
for switching charset encoding. For example, Thunderbird and
Firefox. Provide a preference dialog, where I can set my
preferred fonts for my preferred charset. And from the menu
View -> Character Encoding -> list of prefered encodings.
When user selects an encoding, teh app switches instantly. IE
has this feature too. The auto detect kinda works too, but
not always.

I read emails and online news in 3 different languages: chinese,
english and french. Without an easy switch between encodings, that would
kill me :)

It would be even better if I can set my preferences for the
whole desktop, and apply to all applications. But that's a
different issue.

rgds,

csp
--