[Fedora-directory-users] Re: help for building FDS

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 15:16:44 UTC 2005

speedy zinc wrote:

>Hi Chen,
>
>--- Chen Shaopeng wrote:
>

>>speedy zinc wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, this is an old issue. Has anyone succeeded
>>>

>>in
>>

>>>building the server on Ubuntu 5.10?
>>>
>>>I'd appreciate if someone can share some
>>>

>>experience.
>>

>>I just upgraded my workstation from Ubuntu 5.04 to
>>5.10
>>over the weekend, and it's building fine, but I'm
>>using
>>gcc 3.4 (not 4.0 as you have reported earlier).
>>
>>You might want to downgrade to gcc 3.4 to build it.
>>Some
>>modules use the command "cc", so you might have to
>>create
>>a link from "cc" to your gcc command.
>>
>>The whole thing builds just fine, assuming that you
>>have
>>all the req devel packages installed.
>>

>Could you share how you made it build on your Ubuntu?
>I'm also using gcc 3.4, but I have struggling to make
>it build for so long, it's unbelievable.
>
>I want to learn about the internals, and I want to
>be able to walk through some of the codes in a
>debugger, so I want to be able to build this on my
>machine.
>
>I have never thought getting this to build is such
>a pig... it's harder than compiling my own kernel.

It was never meant to be easy to build, being a proprietary product for
so long :-(  We've been trying to make it easier to build as we go along
with new features, sort of like trying to build the bridge and cross it
at the same time . . .

>Guys, is learning this special build framework part
>of what I must learn before I can build the DS?
>Sorry, I've been banging my head for too long ...

We're working on it.  We're working on an improved build framework using
the dsbuild/gar stuff that should (hopefully) allow you to build on more
platforms than just rhel/fedora core.