[Fedora-directory-users] help with memory corruption

speedy zinc speedy_zinc at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 03:44:50 UTC 2005

--- David Boreham wrote:

> speedy zinc wrote:
>

> I'm not sure. First let's figure out which process
> is causing this error.
> I'm not 100% that it's the server itself. What do
> you see in the errors
> log ? Do you get the server startup banner ? You
> could also try running
> under strace (make a copy of start-slapd, edit it to
> add 'strace -f -o
> /tmp/straceout' to the
> line mentioned above). The output from strace will
> give us some idea of
> what's happening. Running in gdb with a breakpoint
> on the heap error
> function you see caled above would be cool if you
> can manage that.
> Post the stack trace here if so.

Let me try if I understand your instruction here,
and see if I can get anything.

And no, I don't get any banner, it hasn't got to the
flash screen at all.

> Let's hold judgement until we figure out the
> problem.
> I've been working on this code for 9 years and this
> is the first time
> I've seen something like this in released server
> code, if indeed
> that's what is triggering the error here.

Sorry if that sounds like flaming. I didn't do
anythign
for the whole, was working on a paper, and have
Eclipse
open on some test codes (which has nothing to do with
FDS). Eclipse started to hang, and then Gnome, and
then
nothing works, except the cursor.

But before I reset, I forgot that I have fds running.

> This must be code you built, right ? (I don't
> believe the FDS binaries
> are built with the debug heap). It's also possible
> that this is a
> build or compiler issue. Again I don't believe the
> product has been
> extensively tested when built with gcc4.

No, this is the package I downloaded. It's in rpm
format, I use alien to convert it to a deb package,
and installed.

I've never been able to build it yet, have been
banging
my head and asking for help on this list for a long
time.

Maybe I should just install a fedora distro or
something...

thanks

sz