[Fedora-directory-users] lagest depoyment?

speedy zinc speedy_zinc at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 04:06:49 UTC 2005

--- Chen Shaopeng wrote:

> Could someone with experiences in deploying FDS/RHDS
> (or even before
> that) shed some light on your largest deployment of
> directory?
>
> For example:
>
> - total #users
> - average # of concurrent users (at the same time)
> - total #objects in the system
> - hardware specs
> - how many servers
> - network topology
> - biggest problem encountered
> - ...
>
> I'm just trying to get a feel about the hardware
> requirements.
> Numbers from the Sun Directory is ok too.
>
> If you don't mind sharing that.
>
> thanks a lot.

Heh, would be a great way for us, newbies, to learn
about
the specific requirements of FDS too.

That could serve as guideline for us. Other aspects
can
be learned by hacking the code, studying the
protocols,
etc. But this only can be learned through experience,
the hard way by screwing up yourself, or by learning
from other people's experience (which I hope to learn
more from this list).

This is what I found most lacking. Everyone seems to
have
to spend a lot of time, repeating the learning process
the hard way, because there is lack of sharing of case
studies and past experiences.

Two of my high school classmates are studying
architecture
and civil engineering. They have all kinds of case
studies,
experiences, past failures and successes. And very
detailed besides that. You can easily use them as
guideline for new designs. Some are no-no, some are
best practices, etc.

They were laughing at what we call "software
engineering",
because they can easily prove at what load their
bridge
will crash, but I have no way to prove at what load my
server will crash.

Sure, it is easy to say that computer and software
evolve much faster, but still, this domain seems to
be characterized by the lack of rigorous and
scientific
measurement. No, I'm talking about the O() thing,
that's
nothing compared to other engineering fields.

I study the linux kernel too, and there's also no way
to prove the reliability of the system.

Sorry that this has nothing to do with FDS, and sounds
like a rant :)  I love my field of study, but that
does
not seem to stand up to scientific review.

Oh great, I just flamed two groups of people in one
shot :)

Ah, should go to sleep now, maybe tomorrow will be
better.

sz