[Fedora-directory-users] Need some pointers to information

Mont Rothstein mont.rothstein at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 19:22:25 UTC 2005

I want to use a Linux server as a file server for Windows clients. I would
like to be able to add users to the Directory Server pragmatically and from
that have users be able to access the Linux server via Samba.
Save/edit/delete files, and set ACLs. This server will not be the PDC, and
there may or may not be a PDC on the network at all (computers may be a
simple workgroup).

I've been going through the various docs and how-tos on setting up Fedora
Directory Server, Samba, and integrating the two, but everything I have been
reading seems to assume that my Linux server will be the PDC. The process
for adding users seems to be to create a Unix user and then make them a
Samba user. Which is basically the opposite of what I want. I would like to
add the user to the Directory Server and have that fully enable the user's
access to the Linux server.

Perhaps I am just confused. I've searched and searched but I can't find
anything that looks at/talks about the Fedora Directory Server and Samba
from this direction.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mont