[Fedora-directory-users] what is LA/LAS?

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Mon Nov 21 06:58:28 UTC 2005

speedy zinc wrote:

>I'm reading the ACL plugin code, and it mentioned
>about
>"LA" or "LAS". I grep the code of the whole DS, but
>couldn't really figure out what that is.
>
>Could someone give a brief explanation about that?

Did you find libaccess and the nsacl headers ? The explanation
(not brief unfortunately) lies in there. As far as I can tell, LAS
stands for 'Logic Authorization Statement'. But really it's just a
thingy in an ACL : like ip=<dotted decimal> or <user=fred>.

This all might make more sense in light of the fact that when
access control (or at least non-toy access control) was added
to the server in the late '90's, the engineer that worked on the
project used code from an existing access control facility that
was in the Netscape web server at the time (and I guess still is).
So all that LAS stuff is to allow abstraction of the specifics
of access control (what is to be allowed to do which things to
what resources) via call backs.