[Fedora-directory-users] Active Directory Interaction

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Tue Nov 22 21:11:44 UTC 2005

Scott Boggs wrote:

>I have recently started working with the fedora directory server and I
>think the
>project totally rocks!.  I am hoping that a seasoned directory server
>veteran can
>educate me on where I am going wrong with setting a Fedora-ds and Active
>directory
>server to sync passwords.  The following is my configuration and
>observations:
>
>I am running Fedora Core 4 loaded with the
>fedora-ds-7.1-2.RHEL4.i386.opt.rpm that
>the project provided for evaluation.
>
>Part of my evaluation is to demonstrate how the the directory sever will
>interact with
>a active directory system.  I have followed the instructions listed in
>chapter 18 of the
>Red Hat Directory Server Administration Guide.  Where I am running into
>issues is that
>the step 6 of the setup instructions states that once the suffix is
>selected within the console
>configuration area that sync can be chosen and a New Synchronization
>Agreement created.
>
>This area seems to be missing on my version.  I am guessing that I have
>hit a limitation of the
>evaluation version and I need to now build my own to enable this
>functionality.  Am I correct?
>If not, could someone please point me in the correct direction.

Hi Scott,

The binaries you have are not any sort of crippled, eval version.  You
can setup the Windows Sync feature.  You need to right click on your
dataqbase that is associated with your suffix  under the "Configuration"
tab in Console to  create a new Windows Synch agreement.  This is under
the "Replication" item in the tree on the left-hand side of the
Console.  You most ilkely want to use the "userRoot" database.

-NGK