[Fedora-directory-users] Search by "uid" attribute returns duplicate results

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 00:16:06 UTC 2005

Kevin M. Myer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I migrated a Netscape Directory Server 4.16 installation to Fedora
> Directory Server over the weekend.  It went very smoothly, but I now
> have a puzzling problem.  I have two servers setup in multimaster
> replication mode.  On the one server, for one subtree only, if I
> search via the 'uid' attribute, each search returns two identical
> entries.  On the other server, if I search via the 'uid' attribute, I
> get one entry.  If I search on anything but the 'uid' attribute (say,
> for instance 'mail'), I get one result from both servers.
>
> The server that returns duplicate results for the 'uid' searches was
> running in a test mode prior to my migration.  However, I wiped the
> database/subtree that had our organization accounts located in it
> prior to migrating.  My initial suspicion is that I have a messed up
> index somewhere but I don't see how I would ever have been able to
> import duplicate sets of entries anyway, since we are using 'uid' as
> our RDN value.

Sounds like a messed up index i.e. when you wiped the database/subtree,
it didn't wipe the uid.db4 index file.   However, if you initialized the
database again by importing an LDIF file (e.g. by ldif2db, not
ldapmodify -a), it should have wiped out the old index as well.

> Further, if I export the data for that subtree, there are only one set
> of entries for each account.

Right, because there is only 1 real entry, it's just that there are two
different uid values in the index pointing to your 1 real entry.