[Fedora-directory-users] strange problem with group of more than 2000 users

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Mon Oct 3 17:26:27 UTC 2005

If it is hitting any type of administrative limit, it should show some
type of error in the logs.
Look at the searches it is doing, and make sure you have appropriate
indexes on attributes it is searching against - if the appropriate stuff
is indexed, searches should be fast enough to not run into a timeout
issue in most cases.  Look in the access log for Notes=U - that should
be there on an unindexed search.

If you don't see any of this in the logs, I'd say it's more a limit on
the Solaris side (as someone else mentioned) than the LDAP side.

How big is your directory (how many entries, approximately)?

 - Jeff

basile au siris wrote:

> i did a test
> with 643 users it works
> with 800 users it don t works
> could it be timers problem ( time_search_limit or time_bind_limit for
> proxyagent wich is used
> to query directory )
> basile
>
> basile au siris wrote:
>
>> thanks
>> i set the sizelimit to -1 but it don t  works better
>> i set nssizelimit to -1 of the proxyagent which is used to bind to
>> the directory but same result
>> i look at the logs and when i use id or getent there is directory query
>> it seems crazy i can t have more than 2000 users in a group
>> i search the limit of users i can have
>> basile
>>
>> Jeff Clowser wrote:
>>
>>> It could be a limit on the sizes of groups, etc in Solaris.
>>>
>>> To check to see if it's LDAP related, look at the ldap access logs
>>> for queries related to that group or coming from that machine.
>>> Anyway, 2000 I believe is the default sizelimit for searches, so
>>> look for entries with 2000 results, if it's consistently failing at
>>> 2000 users.  If it's just reading the group with 2000+ static
>>> members (1 entry), then maybe reading each user individually (1
>>> entry/search), it shouldn't hit a resource limit.  But...  if it
>>> reads the group, then searches for all users with that group id, or
>>> something similar, it may hit the administrative limits.
>>>
>>> For a simple test, you could up the sizelimit (say to 10000 or -1)
>>> on the directory server and see if the problem goes away.
>>>
>>> If you find something like this, there are a couple ways to fix it:
>>> 1.  Up your server administrative sizelimit (to a higher number, or
>>> -1 for unlimited).  This should be a last resort, since it allows
>>> anyone (even anonymous) to make unlimited size searches against your
>>> directory.  If your directory is large, that could cause problems.