[Fedora-directory-users] Dovecot and FDS

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Apr 7 16:08:53 UTC 2006

Oscar A. Valdez wrote:
> The Howto at http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:Dovecot is
> really very skimpy (two lines that refer you offsite, to a Howto based
> on OpenLDAP).
>
> I spent most of yesterday banging my head, making dovecot authenticate
> against FDS. The mail server on which dovecot is installed has the
> nss_ldap and pam_ldap packages installed, and /etc/dovecot.conf has the
> following two lines:
>
> auth_userdb = ldap /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
> auth_passdb = pam
>
> In other words, dovecot should use LDAP to access the user database, but
> PAM for authentication. This part is working, since users authenticate
> and get their mails through dovecot.
>
> /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf contains the following:
>
> hosts = 192.168.0.2
> ldap_version = 3
> base = ou=People, dc=duraflex, dc=com, dc=sv
> deref = never
> scope = subtree
> user_attrs = uid,homeDirectory,,,uidNumber,gidNumber
> user_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))
>
> I haven't specified a dn or dnpass, since all I need is that dovecot
> perform an anonymous query for the uid, homeDirectory, uidNumber and
> gidNumber fields of its users, which are publically viewable. However,
> my FDS server's access log has entries like these:
>
> conn=3266227 fd=138 slot=138 connection from 192.168.0.100 to
> 192.168.0.2
> conn=3266227 op=0 BIND dn="" method=128 version=3
> conn=3266227 op=0 RESULT err=0 tag=97 nentries=0 etime=0 dn=""
> conn=3266227 op=1 SRCH base="ou=People,dc=duraflex,dc=com,dc=sv" scope=1
> filter="(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=dovecot))" attrs=ALL
> conn=3266227 op=1 RESULT err=0 tag=101 nentries=0 etime=0
> conn=3266227 op=2 SRCH base="ou=Groups,dc=duraflex,dc=com,dc=sv" scope=1
> filter="(&(objectClass=posixGroup)(memberUid=dovecot))"
> attrs="gidNumber"
> conn=3266227 op=2 RESULT err=0 tag=101 nentries=0 etime=0
> conn=3266227 op=-1 fd=138 closed - B1
>
> Dovecot tries binding with an empty dn, fails,
It doesn't fail, according to the log - the result of the BIND request
is err=0 i.e. success.
In LDAP, dn="" is an anonymous BIND.  So, two possible problems:
1) Did you try that same search from the command line using ldapsearch?
Same results?
2) Did you set up your ACIs to allow anonymous read/search/compare
access to those entries and attributes?