[Fedora-directory-users] mass delete : size limit problem

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Wed Apr 12 13:56:42 UTC 2006

David Boreham wrote:

> Mikael Kermorgant wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to run a script that deletes everything from ou=People (~
>> 5000 users).
>> The problem is that I first run a search and the result size is
>> limited by the server.
>>
>> Increasing thiis limit would surely work but I don't find it very
>> elegant. Do you see another solution ?
>

> Re-try the operation until you have deleted all the entries (in chunks
> of size sizelimit at a time).

I take it you are not running the deletes as Directory Manager, because
administrative server limits won't apply if you are.

One thing you can do is remove or increase the administrative limits
just on the entry you are binding as to do the deletes.  Adding the
following to the entry you are binding as should do this:

nsLookThroughLimit: -1
nsSizeLimit: -1
nsTimeLimit: -1
bsIdleTimeout: -1

-1 sets this to unlimited.  You can sub this with other reasonable
values if that fits your needs better.  You might only want some of
these (i.e. nsSizeLimit).  BTW, this is based on my knowledge of the Sun
DS, and it's possible FDS is different, but I think this is in both servers.

 - Jeff