[Fedora-directory-users] Exporting MD5 Hash from FD-DS into /etc/shadow

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Tue Apr 18 17:14:31 UTC 2006

dennis at demarco.com wrote:

> I would like to export the MD5 hash from the Fedora directory user's
> password attribute into /etc/shadow of a Linux machine not in LDAP
> (Redhat).
>
> It appears this isn't working, is there a way for me to do this? Not all
> machines are using ldap but I would like to export from ldap.

Hi,
  I haven't tried this, but here's an idea just off the top of my head
which _might_ work:

1. take away the {MD5} from the string

2. base64 decode the rest of the string

3. convert the string to hex

4. put the $1$ at the front of the hex string

5. put the whole string into the password field in /etc/shadow and test

If that works, you could write a perl script to automate the procedure.
And report back to the list as well :-)

BR,

--
mike