[Fedora-directory-users] Idle timeout recommendation

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 20:21:14 UTC 2006

DeMarco, Dennis wrote:

> Under the performance tab, there is an idle timeout. Does anyone have
> any recommendations on this? I am not sure keeping it a 0 is good
> practice. You wouldn’t want to keep idle connections open and run out
> of file descriptors correct? Would 30 seconds seem reasonable?

It depends on your network. Are all of your clients going to be
accessing the directory server via fast (100MB or 1GB) network
connections? If so, then you could probably drop the idle timeout down
to a few seconds (or lower). But if you have older networks or
WAN/Dialup connections, you may have to make it longer.