[Fedora-directory-users] upperlimit on uidNumber

mj at sci.fi mj at sci.fi
Wed Apr 19 16:18:48 UTC 2006

> I was wondering if there is an upper limit on the uid or the gidNumber in
> fds.
> Or is there a limit on OS level? Does anyone know what it is? Is this
> different between the RedHat releases?
> Is it different from other Unixes?

I have personally loaded 10 million user accounts into FDS as a performance test (on a measly 2.4Ghz P4 machine with 512MB of RAM), and it worked just fine; not sure how many it could theoretically hold.

The linux kernel has officially had support for 32-bit uidnumbers since kernel v2.4, so the maximum user id number is 4294967295, or approximately 4.3 billion. This is the same on any distribution using kernel 2.4 or newer. I am not  sure about UNIX...

--
mike