[Fedora-directory-users] use of dynamic groups from client applications

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 14:29:41 UTC 2006

Mikael Kermorgant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently discovered FDS and the use of dynamic groups.
>
> As I had many groups that I generate by scripts on a regular basis, I
> thought the use of dynamic groups would remove a certain amount of
> complexity and administration from my current setup.
>
> However, things do not work like I expected. I'm testing my dynamic
> groups from a site built with Plone (which can find which groups the
> user belongs to when authenticating) and group membership is not
> found.
>
> Do client applications have to support "dynamic groups" by using the
> "memberurl" attribute to issue a search by their own ?

Yes.
> If that's the case, has the possibility to emulate a static group from
> an external point of view (with a cache being refreshed after updates
> on the directory) been envisaged ?

It depends.  What are you trying to do?  Populate the members of a
static group entry dynamically depending on some property of the entry
of each member?  Or do you automatically add some attribute to each
member's entry indicating their group membership?

Fedora DS has two features in addition to support for traditional
groups: Roles and Class of Service.  With Roles, you can create
(statically or dynamically) "groups" that you can perform the following
operations on much faster than with traditional groups:
1) List all members of a given Role
2) Test if user A has Role B
3) List all Roles that user A has

Class of Service allows you to dynamically add virtual attributes to
users' entries.