[Fedora-directory-users] Administrating Fedora directory Server through commands

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 14:40:38 UTC 2006

Hariharan R wrote:
> Hai,
>
>  I am using Fedora Directory Server 7.1 on CentOS 4.3 (SMP kernal).
>
>  Now i want to administer FDS from the command line.so i am using
>  ldapadd,ldapmodify,ldapdelete ... commands.
>
>  I have no problem in adding an organizational unit or user to the
>  directory.
>
>  I am getting problem while try to add a new root suffix to the FDS from
>  the command line.
>
>  This is the process i am following to add a new root suffix
>
>  1) The ldif file (root.ldif) contains the following attributes
>     corresponds to the root entry
>
>         dn: cn="dc=newroot,dc=com",cn=mapping tree,cn=config
>         objectclass: dcobject
>         objectclass: top
>         objectClass: domain
>         objectclass: extensibleObject
>         objectclass: nsMappingTree
>         nsslapd-state: backend
>         nsslapd-backend: newdb
>         cn: dc=newroot,dc=com
>         dc: newroot
>
>  2) Then i am using ldap add command to add the root suffix which is
>     defined in the ldif file(root.ldif)
>
>         ldapadd -x -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w testingdir -f root.ldif
>
>     This command is get executed perfectly.Then i opened the FDS console.
>     Perhaps there is no error in the log file too.
>
>  3) Click Directory server > configuration
>
>     I have the entry for "newroot" and "newdb" is the database
> assigned to
>     the database.
But I think you did not define the database "newdb".  See
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/entry_dist.html#18238

You should add an entry that looks like this:

dn: cn=newdb,cn=ldbm database,cn=plugins,cn=config

objectclass: extensibleObject

objectclass: nsBackendInstance

nsslapd-suffix: dc=newroot,dc=com

>  4) Then If i open the Directory server > directory window i am not
> having
>     a directory entry for the newly created root suffix.
Finally, you need to add an actual _entry_.  The directory browser
window only shows you entries.  Defining a suffix and a database does
not actually add any data/entries to the newly created suffix.  You need
to add an entry like this:
dn: dc=newroot,dc=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: domain
dc: newroot

>     I don't have any problem if i create the root suffix from the GUI
> mode.
The console does a lot of this behind the scenes.