[Fedora-directory-users] Odd performance problem, server not using indeces

George Daswani funks at socalsrt4.com
Wed Aug 2 22:58:43 UTC 2006

Hello,

         I have around 350K users in my test directory, and I'm running
into an odd problem with the directory not using indeces for
ldapsearches.

For example, using the following search string

(&(objectClass=organizationalPerson)(employeeNumber=*))

Looking at the console, there's a system index on objectClass (which is
set to equality), there's also an index on employeeNumber (both equality,
and presence).

There are around 5K icasOrgPersons (which can hold the employeeNumber
attribute), the rest can't.  When the actual search (really slow as if it
was using a full scan) is performed, the access log files shows "notes=U"
meaning that the search was unindexed.  The question is why considering
there were indeces built for the attributes in the search filter?

Thanks.