[Fedora-directory-users] High cpu utilizaton by slapd

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Aug 7 19:09:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006, Bliss, Aaron wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm running fds on 2 servers, a supplier and consumer, both are running
> redhat ES 4; I noticed today and for the last few days that the supplier
> directory server is running very, very slow, top reveals that ns-slapd
> is killing the cpu; these are running on server class hardware, roughly
> 1.5 GHZ hp proliant servers; the consumer directory server cpu
> utilization is almost 0 (99 % idol); I don't really know how to being to
> troubleshoot this problem; I've seen similar issues on oracle database
> servers when database indexes were corrupt and had to be rebuilt....Any
> ideas as to how to begin to troubleshoot this?  Thanks very much.
>
> 1806 ldap      15   0  517m  33m  14m S 90.6  3.3   4:56.21 ns-slapd

Not much to go on here, but I'd start with the basics I'd look at for
any overloaded server.  have you looked in the access logs to see if
the increased load is coming from an external source?  Anything in the
error logs?  Anything in the system logs?  How's memory looking on the
box?  Anything changed recently?