[Fedora-directory-users] Using FDS to replace ActiveDirectory

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Dec 15 01:14:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 12:21 -0800, Wayne Johnson wrote:
> I've tried to research this but been coming up relatively empty, so
> any references and examples you can give would be appreciated.  I've
> used LDAP but not in this context.
>
> We have a network at our school of various Fedora Core servers and
> Windows desktops.  We'd like to create a homogeneous login system.
> Fedora can use LDAP of course, but what about Windows.  I know
> ActiveDirectory runs an LDAP server, but can we use FDS as a
> replacement to AD so that the Windows98 and XP machines we have will
> use FDS for authentication?  Will FDS also do the various other AD
> functions (like Outlook addresses, etc)?
----
Samba can provide login/domain controller functions for Windows
networking but on a level of NT Server and use FDS as the authentication
backend - thus your Windows desktop systems can authenticate, get
roaming profiles and some level of policy management.

FDS can be configured as a datastore for shared & personal addressbooks
as well without much difficulty.

Probably best to start with the samba documentation -
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs but by design, LDAP implementation is up
to the system administrators and there is no one way to do things.

Craig