[Fedora-directory-users] Search w/ empty base dn

Del del at babel.com.au
Fri Feb 10 02:56:24 UTC 2006

Glenn W. Bach wrote:
> I'm replacing an ldap server with Fedora Directory. The old one allows
> searches with the base dn empty. Is there a way to allow searches with a
> blank base dn in Fedora Directory?

It works for me, I do it all the time.  You may need to set the search
scope to "base" or you won't find anything.

$ ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base vendorVersion
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope base
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: vendorVersion
#

#
dn:
vendorVersion: Fedora-Directory/1.0.1 B2005.342.165

This is using, just as an example, the ldapsearch command line tool
from the openldap-clients RPM.  Which LDAP client are you using?

Another useful search with a blank base DN is for namingContexts,
eg:

ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base namingContexts

--
Del