[Fedora-directory-users] Looking for expanded upgrade to 1.0 procedure

Darren Fulton dfulton at concepttechnologyinc.com
Sun Feb 12 21:32:59 UTC 2006

We've been running FDS beta in production for a while now.  I'd like to upgrade to 1.0 and then get current, especially because after the last reboot, the admin-serv won't run anymore.  The only upgrade instructions that I've been able to find are at the bottom of the 1.0 Release Notes:

    Unfortunately, rpm -U (rpm upgrade install) is not supported. You must perform a migration from the old version. Steps:

       1. Backup your data, using the console or the db2bak command line (or Export to LDIF)
       2. Make a copy of your server configuration - the slapd-instance/config/dse.ldif file
       3. Backup your key/cert/module information - the /opt/fedora-ds/alias .db files (you can ignore the .so file)
       4. Uninstall the previous version (e.g. rpm -e fedora-ds)
       5. Install the new version (e.g. rpm -ivh fedora-ds-1.0-2.platform.i386.opt.rpm)
       6. Add back your configuration to the new instance e.g. do a diff between your saved dse.ldif and the new one
       7. Add back your saved key/cert/module .db files to /opt/fedora-ds/alias
       8. Restore your saved data (or import from LDIF)

These notes aren't enough detail for me to get the job done.  Is there a detailed procedure somewhere or can one of you good people help me?  I've looked through the mailing list archives, FDS docs, RHDS docs, and googled.  I'd like something like this:

    mkdir /var/backup/fds
    cd /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-host2
    ./db2bak /var/backup/fds
    blah blah
    rpm -e fedora-ds
    etc etc

Specific things in the upgrade steps from the release notes that I don't feel good about are:
Step 1 - I don't know how to do that, but I think I might have done it correctly.
Step 4 - after rpm -e, it says some files may not have been removed and to remove them manually.  Do you do rm -Rf /opt/fedora-ds?
Step 6 - I don't know how to do that
Step 8 - I don't know how to do that

Thanks in advance!

--