[Fedora-directory-users] Looking for expanded upgrade to 1.0 procedure

Darren Fulton - CTI dfulton at concepttechnologyinc.com
Wed Feb 22 16:12:58 UTC 2006

Richard Megginson wrote:

> Darren Fulton wrote:
>
>> We've been running FDS beta in production for a while now.  I'd like
>> to upgrade to 1.0 and then get current, especially because after the
>> last reboot, the admin-serv won't run anymore.
>>
> What's the problem?  Note that ns-slapd must be up and running and
> accepting connections before admin-serv will start.
>
>> The only upgrade instructions that I've been able to find are at the
>> bottom of the 1.0 Release Notes:
>>
>>    Unfortunately, rpm -U (rpm upgrade install) is not supported. You
>> must perform a migration from the old version. Steps:
>>
>>       1. Backup your data, using the console or the db2bak command
>> line (or Export to LDIF)
>>       2. Make a copy of your server configuration - the
>> slapd-instance/config/dse.ldif file
>>       3. Backup your key/cert/module information - the
>> /opt/fedora-ds/alias .db files (you can ignore the .so file)
>>       4. Uninstall the previous version (e.g. rpm -e fedora-ds)
>>       5. Install the new version (e.g. rpm -ivh
>> fedora-ds-1.0-2.platform.i386.opt.rpm)
>>       6. Add back your configuration to the new instance e.g. do a
>> diff between your saved dse.ldif and the new one
>>       7. Add back your saved key/cert/module .db files to
>> /opt/fedora-ds/alias
>>       8. Restore your saved data (or import from LDIF)
>>
>> These notes aren't enough detail for me to get the job done.  Is
>> there a detailed procedure somewhere or can one of you good people
>> help me?  I've looked through the mailing list archives, FDS docs,
>> RHDS docs, and googled.  I'd like something like this:
>>
>>    mkdir /var/backup/fds
>>    cd /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-host2
>>    ./db2bak /var/backup/fds
>>    blah blah
>>    rpm -e fedora-ds
>>    etc etc
>>

>> Specific things in the upgrade steps from the release notes that I
>> don't feel good about are:
>> Step 1 - I don't know how to do that, but I think I might have done
>> it correctly.
>>

> Yes, you are correct.
>
>> Step 4 - after rpm -e, it says some files may not have been removed
>> and to remove them manually.  Do you do rm -Rf /opt/fedora-ds?
>>

> Yes.
>
>> Step 6 - I don't know how to do that
>>

> cd /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-host2
> ./stop-slapd
> diff -U 8 dse.ldif.saved config/dse.ldif > diffs
> # where dse.ldif.saved is the one you saved in step 2 above
> # now, take a look at the file diffs, and edit your config/dse.ldif
> with any pertinent changes in diffs
> ./start-slapd
>
>> Step 8 - I don't know how to do that
>>

> cd /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-host2
> ./stop-slapd
> ./bak2db /var/backup/fds
> ./start-slapd
>
>> Thanks in advance!

Here is what I remember about the upgrade:

I got the upgrade done but it wasn't smooth.  No fault of the software
I'm sure, just my lack of LDAP experience.

    # now, take a look at the file diffs, and edit your config/dse.ldif
    with any pertinent changes in diffs
    ./start-slapd

It wouldn't restart at this point.  I think it was due to having, prior
to the upgrade, performed the steps in the SSL and Samba How-to's.  I
removed my changes to the new dse.ldif and started slapd.  I think I
also had to remove the files that I restored to the alias directory.

    cd /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-host2
    ./stop-slapd
    ./bak2db /var/backup/fds
    ./start-slapd

This part went well.  I then restored the old 61samba.ldif to the schema
directory and at that point stuff was mostly working properly, except
for logging into the web admin wouldn't work.   I had to loosen up the
permissions on the directory /opt/fedora-ds/bin/slapd/authck to get that
working.

One remaining weird thing that I've found.  To run the Java "Console"
tool I change directory to /opt/fedora-ds and run ./startconsole and
login.  When I do that, the console is empty.  There is nothing at all
listed in "Servers and Applications".  It is just bare.  However, when I
cd into
/opt/fedora-ds/$fedora-ds_some_backup_that_I_made_prior_to_the_upgrade,
run the ./startconsole command and connect to the same host on the same
port with the same credentials, it looks as I expect it to look, listing
my domain name, host name, server group, etc.  So for now I'm just
running startconsole from the old backup folder.

Thanks for the help.

--
Best Regards,

Darren Fulton