[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Cos? or plug-in issue?

Scott scott.boggs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:17:58 UTC 2006

Pete Rowley <prowley <at> redhat.com> writes:

> Scott wrote:
>
> > I must be missing something on how the Directory Server (fedora-ds)
> > defines the attributes. I was under the impression I could just update
> > the 00core.ldif entry and the new matching rule would then be applied.
> > This has proven not to be the case, I think it might have to do with
> > the server interacts with the plugins or the CoS which needs to be
> > addressed.
> >
> What exactly failed and how?

When I apply the caseExactMatch definition to the attribute, I expected it to
enforce the matching rule.  However it did not seem to have any effect.  I
tested it both with the schema checking on and off.  I ended up using the
default attributeType and I just changed the SYNTAX to
1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26.
This seems to enforce the case for the uid. I think I was under the mis-
understanding that I could tweak the attribute type specifically to meet my
sites needs. I have been reading up on the CoS and I think this is where I
went wrong.  Is there an alternate method to provide granular control over
attributeTypes, or is the FDS tied to the CoS model?  The entry I am talking
about is listed below.   Thanks

attributeTypes: ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1 NAME ( 'uid' 'userid' )
DESC 'Standard LDAP attribute type' EQUALITY caseExactMatch SUBSTR
caseExactSubstringsMatch SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 X-ORIGIN 'RFC
1274' )