[Fedora-directory-users] Chain On Update problem

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 17:11:16 UTC 2006

ILoveJython wrote:

> I have read the document:
>
> Howto:ChainOnUpdate - Fedora Directory Server
> <http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:ChainOnUpdate>
>
> and have been unable to get it to work. When I attempt a write to the
> consumer it makes the change on the
> consumer and does not update the master.

This is bad.  If the consumer is configured to be a read only consumer
you should not be able to make a change on it.  You should either get a
referral returned from the consumer to the client program which the
client program will follow to make the change on the master, or, if
chain on update is working, you will see the operation on the consumer
and the same corresponding operation sent to the master.

> With the next change on the master of any kind,
> the mapping tree entry for this suffix changes from "nsslapd-state:
> backend" to "nsslapd-state: referral on update".
> Once this state changes, my client complains that it cannot update,
> since it cannot follow referrals.

Ulf, you've been able to get this running, right?