[Fedora-directory-users] Server-Side ACLs for pam_ldap logins.

Dan Cox dan at wep.net
Tue Jan 3 20:54:42 UTC 2006

As an alternative, I've used the ldap/netgroup integration for many
years and it seems the cleanest way of doing it when used in conjunction
with pam's access.conf. It allows me to push the same /etc/passwd and
/etc/security/access.conf to all machines on the network via something
like CFEngine.

The access.conf consists of something like (allow all QA users access to
QA systems):
+ : @QA@@QAServers : ALL

Then I just add or remove the user or machine in the ldap netgroup
entry. The real power with using ldap based netgroups is when you
realize all of the services that can consume netgroup information,
unlike the simple user based host attribute. For example, you can push a
global /etc/sudoers and specify certain groups of users can run certain
commands on particular groups of machines all on one line.  CFEngine
itself can query netgroups to know what config files to push, tools like
dsh (distributed ssh) can use netgroups as machine targets for commands,
etc. I've administered some very large networks of machines with these
tools and it makes it very easy to control.

Dan-