[Fedora-directory-users] Importing Linux Users

Scott Miller srmiller at interbel.net
Wed Jan 4 20:55:25 UTC 2006

Hello list,

   Here's my situation.  I currently use Sendmail as my mail transport, and
also have imap capabilities.  Recently, we purchased a barracuda Spam
Firewall to help reduce the amount of spam our customers receive.  We have 5
domains on our mail server, so basically any user has 5 available e-mail
addresses (ya, not the best way to do it, but that's how it was when I got
here).  With the barracuda, in order for it NOT to create a new spam account
(or box) for each of the 5 e-mail addresses our customers have, it requires
our mail server to run LDAP.  Well, OK - if that's what it needs.

   In my search for building an LDAP server, I came across the Fedora
Directory Server Project.  Since I'm in the process of upgrading (replacing)
my servers with Fedora Core 4 (forklift upgrade), I was hoping this might
just be a perfect fit.

   Now here's my question.  Before I start in on this task, is there an
"easy" way to import normal linux users into the LDAP database on the new
server?  Granted, I've only spent a few days researching this question, and
have come up blank everywhere I've looked.  The answer is probably out there
somewhere, so if someone could possibly point me in the right direction, it
would be greatly appriciated.  I'm hoping to stay away from entering the
information for each and every customer we have.

Thank You,
Scott Miller