[Fedora-directory-users] NSS/SSL oddities

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 15:03:39 UTC 2006

Hi Rob,

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 09:21 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	A couple of quick questions about things that have been bugging me:
> >
> >   - If I import a server certificate and a CA certificate with pk12util
> >     and change the trust attributes on the CA cert to "C,," - i.e. that
> >     it should be a trusted CA for server certificates - and then start
> >     slapd I get:
> >
> > [05/Jan/2006:17:21:57 +0000] conn=0 op=-1 fd=64 closed - No certificate authority is trusted for SSL client authentication.
> >
> >     Which seems strange to me - I would have thought the CA certs in
> >     nssckbi would be trusted for client auth?
>
> The C trust flag means that it is a trusted CA to issue server certs.
> For client certs you need the T flag as well.

	Right.

> nssckbi doesn't really come into play here. I believe that even if your
> CA is signed by another CA that is in libnssckbi but you don't trust
> your CA to sign client certs, then any client certificates issued by
> your CA won't be trusted.

	Well, the point is that this CA won't be issuing an client
certificates ... only a server certificate.

	What appears to be happening is that NSS requires at least one CA
certificate to be available in order to send a certificate request
during the handshake. However, my CA certificate isn't trusted for
client auth and NSS isn't aware of any other CAs for client auth, so it
barfs.

	I find this puzzling because looking through the NSS code, it looks
like the CA certificates from nssckbi should be used for client auth -
e.g. the error suggests that if I make my CA trusted for client auth, it
will be the *only* CA used for client auth and that the root CAs will be
ignored?

Cheers,
Mark.