[Fedora-directory-users] putting root account in FDS

Edward Fochler fochlere at mail.nih.gov
Sat Jan 7 20:20:59 UTC 2006

We have root local on the boxes, but are locking it out from ssh.
Admins are being weened off of root and are allowed to ssh and sudo
if they are in the right groups in ldap.  I also put in a local ssh
and sudo capable non-root local account on the boes I manage to deal
with network outages and misonfigurations.  ssh brute force and a
known-name god account like root are just a nightmare that I intend
to stay far far away from.

I do have a dummy, non-modifiable no password root entry in my
username table so that if ldap becomes compromised, that's one avenue
of attack that will be that much harder to exploit, and easy to
detect.  The problem is a good one, and I like the solution I'm using
currently, which is partially inspired by the default setup of Mac OS
X.  No known (default) account names with login access.

	ED.