[Fedora-directory-users] Re: certificates

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Jan 12 19:50:49 UTC 2006

Susan wrote:

>--- Howard Chu <hyc at symas.com> wrote:
>

>>Stop for a moment and think that through. If you don't configure the
>>client with a set of CAs to trust, then the only way to make the TLS
>>handshake work is to tell the client not to attempt to verify the
>>server's cert at all. That means any server can present any ol' made up
>>certificate, claiming to be any entity, and the client will just blindly
>>trust it.
>>

>oops, you're right, I didn't think that through.  Of course.
>
>it just seems that managing CA certs on the clients would be a real pain.

Indeed it is, if you have to update thousands of clients with the CA
cert.  But then, if you have such a large deployment, you will probably
find it beneficial to apply for a real CA cert from Verisign or some
such, and use a real CA.
<shameless_plug_for_RHCS>
Red Hat Certificate System has support for web based cert issuance.  It
supports CRL generation and has an OCSP responder.  It can generate
certs and automatically publish them to an LDAP server (e.g. to generate
the userCertificate attribute for users).
</shameless_plug_for_RHCS>

>Besides, is there any way within this whole FDS framework to revoke Certs?

This issue is outside of Fedora DS.  It's more of an issue with your PK
infrastructure and your CA.

>If the ldap server is
>compromised, how do I tell the clients not to trust it (or the CA or both) anymore???

Revoke the cert on the CA, and have the CA generate a CRL.  Then, push
out this CRL to all of your clients.  I'm not sure how to do this with
openssl, but NSS provides a command line tool called crlutil that can be
used to install a CRL into your cert database.
Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird can do this automatically.

For client programs such as email clients and web browsers, who just
want to check the status of the server cert, they can use OCSP (if your
CA supports it).  I don't know if there is widespread support for OCSP -
mozilla/firefox/thunderbird supports it, but I don't know about other
client apps.  OCSP is not good for server apps which need to validate
client certs, especially if under any sort of load at all.  For this,
the server really needs the CRL.  Our mod_nss author was also working on
an Apache module which would automatically pull down CRLs from the CA
using http(s) or ldap(s).  We might be able to do something like that
for Fedora DS.  We proposed it as a feature a couple of years ago, but
it was shot down because no customer asked for it.