[Fedora-directory-users] Winsync: UIDs

Hartmut Wöhrle hartmut.woehrle at mail.pcom.de
Mon Jan 16 19:03:27 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag 12 Januar 2006 22:05 schrieb David Boreham:
> Hartmut Wöhrle wrote:
> >Hallo everyone,
> >
> >I have a question connected with Winsync from Windows NT.
> >When I do the replication (works fine now!) I recieve all Users and the
> > uids in capital letters. Now I want to change them into lower case.
> >ldapmodify refuses to change, and when I try to change it by the gui (not
> > the best way with about 2000 users.... but ok for a test :) , I get the
> > message "Unkown error with naming attribute" and in addition the entrydn
> > and the uid were changed, but the
> >dn: uid=....
>
> Hi, this sounds interesting. I think it may be simply passing through
> the character case it gets from NT.
>
> The reason you can't change the uid value is that it's part of the DN (a
> distinguished attribute).
> If you changed it you'd be changing the DN which is equivalent to
> renaming the entry, and that
> has to be done with the MODDN LDAP operation rather than the regular MOD
> operation.
Ok, that gave me a hint. I saw in the Advanced Properties, that the naming
attribute was set to uid=myname and this is the first entry of the dn
Ok so I changed (via gui to test) the naming attribute to the cn value.
Now I was able to change the uid entry to lower case and then switch back the
naming attribute to uid. Now the new dn contains the new - lower case - uid.

But how do I change the naming attribute in ldapmodify?
In the logs I see that is an entry:
[16/Jan/2006:18:36:14 +0100] conn=20 op=17 MODRDN dn="uid=NSogehts,ou=People,
dc=daheim,dc=weil" newrdn="cn=Nur Sogehts" newsuperior="(null)"
which is the switch for dn: uid -> cn

and
[16/Jan/2006:18:36:59 +0100] conn=20 op=42 MODRDN dn="cn=Nur
Sogehts,ou=People, dc=daheim,dc=weil" newrdn="uid=nsogehts"
newsuperior="(null)"
the swicth back dn: cn -> uid

so now is the entry something like this?

dn: uid=NSogehts,ou=People,dc=daheim,dc=weil
changetype: modify
replace: newrdn
newrdn: cn=Nur Sogehts
-

> To be honest I'm not sure what will happen if you change the uid
> attribute on the FDS side.
> It may still confuse the sync code. Perhaps we should understand a)
> where exactly the upper case
> is coming from and b) if and how it can be fixed in the sync code or in
> NTDS.

No. It seems if I can go the following way:
- change naming attribute uid -> cn
- change uid lo lower case
- change naming attribute back cn -> uid