[Fedora-directory-users] Password history is not being enforced by the directory server

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 15:59:22 UTC 2006

Bliss, Aaron wrote:

>I'm not sure why, but for some reason the directory servers are not
>enforcing password history policies.  I've set the policy from within
>the fds console at the data level (as described in directory server
>documentation).

Did you set "Enable fine-grained password policy" under the
Configuration tab -> Data node -> Passwords tab?  Because the console
will allow you to configure the fine grained password policy under the
Directory tab even if this is not set, but it will not take effect.

>Here is a sample ldap.conf file:
>
>pam_password exop
>pam_password clear
>pam_password md5
>ssl start_tls
>ssl on
>
>I'm running fds 1.0.1 on a redhat 4 box (actually have 2 directory
>servers, I've set this policy on both servers, supplier consumer
>replication is setup between them.
>
>I've verified that this is not enforced regardless if the client has ssl
>enabled or not.

Did you try ldapmodify from the command line to see if the problem is
with FDS or with PAM?  e.g.
ldapmodify -D "uid=user,ou=people,dc=company,dc=com" -w currentpassword
dn: uid=user,ou=people,dc=company,dc=com
changetype: modify
replace: userPassword
userPassword: passwordinhistory