[Fedora-directory-users] NT Password Hash Storage

Roger Spencer rspencer at auspicecorp.com
Thu Jan 19 19:38:50 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:

>><..snip..>
>>

>----
>I am unclear how you are doing authentication by Windows users to the
>network in a normal login...via AD?
>
>anyway, my inclination is to setup Fedora-DS to use samba schema
>
>http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:Samba
>
>as that would give you a sambaNTPassword attribute which is normally the
>hashed password as expected but how that relates to question
>#2...updating the hash when the user changes their password...I suppose
>that would depend upon the chain of events that occur where/when the
>user changes their password...how is this information going to be sent
>to fedora-ds?
>
>Craig
>
>--

When I arrived on the scene, network authentication for windows clients
consisted of setting a local user id and password on a PC and setting
the same user id and password on a stand-alone samba server.  Of course,
users had different ids for email, vpn, shared-keys for wireless, etc.
and passwords never changed (there was a partial NIS setup going, so all
was not bleak).

What I'm doing is consolidating it all into FDS with the benifit of a
password policy.  The samba schema worked great and also gets samba
using FDS for authentication.  But this leaves one question:  what to do
about having two sets of passwords in FDS?

With samba running as an NT domain controller, and having PCs join the
domain, samba should take care of keeping the sambantpassord correct
when a Windows user changes their password.  But what of the userpassord
attribute?  What happens when that same user does an ssh session into a
Linux server, which if I understand correctly, will use the userpassword
attribute for authentication?

Is there a way to keep the two password attributes in sync?  I'm not
sure if it's possible to have all devices needing to do authentication
to use the NT style.