[Fedora-directory-users] automount (revisited)

Roger Spencer rspencer at auspicecorp.com
Tue Jan 31 22:45:45 UTC 2006

I dug the below out from the archive.  Is there anything new on the subject?

I've seemed to have slammed head first into the subject.  Got SUSE and
RHEL 3 using nisObjects happily (apparently they'll support either
model).  Just configured a Solaris 10 box as a client and it wants
automountMap.  Even worse, Solaris 9 and 10 do automountMap, Solaris 8
does nisObjects.  Fortunately, I have all three versions running.  (Info
on Solaris' automount:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=31550&seqNum=4&rl=1 )

I tried loading the 10rfc2307bis.ldif (by replacing the 10rfc2307.ldif
file) and slapd wouldn't restart.

Any idea to a) get the automountMap objects in the schema?  b) possibly
support both models?

    * /From/: Rich Megginson <rmeggins redhat com>
    * /To/: "General discussion list for the Fedora Directory server
      project." <fedora-directory-users redhat com>
    * /Subject/: Re: [Fedora-directory-users] Re: automount
    * /Date/: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:01:40 -0600

There has been a lot of confusion around this issue (mostly on my part).
I think one of the problems is that rfc2307 support from OS vendors is
now deprecated in favor of rfc2307bis
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-howard-rfc2307bis-01.txt,
which is still in Internet Draft phase (and is due to expire very
quickly). A new draft is being worked on with the goal of generating a
new RFC. The bis draft has one problem with it, in that it requires the
use of the authPassword attribute (defined in RFC 3112
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3112.txt). FDS does not support this (and
neither does OpenLDAP AFAICT). I have attached a file called
10rfc2307bis.ldif. This is the schema from the 2307bis I-D in FDS schema
format.

The preferred way to map the automount information is to use the
automount attributes and objectclasses in the RFC 2307bis draft schema.
The problem is that I don't know all of the vendor support. So far I've
been unable to find out what RHEL3 and RHEL4 support. I've been told
that Solaris has support for the bis schema.

If you like, you can replace the 10rfc2307.ldif schema supplied with FDS
with the attached file, and see what happens.