[Fedora-directory-users] New filesystem layout for directory server and admin server files

mj at sci.fi mj at sci.fi
Mon Jul 3 15:53:07 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> kirjoitti:

> Moving locations is always traumatic.  Personally I like
> stand-alone packages that aren't going to be installed on
> every machine you have to live under /opt, but if it is
> ever going to move, do it soon to minimize the number of
> people who will be affected by already having it installed
> in the wrong place.

As FDS is the basis of a commercial product, RHDS, let's talk about the commercial aspect for a moment. Things which are changed in FDS will eventually go into RHDS. There are already folks with lots of RHDS servers deployed or being deployed into commercial environments. We are already talking about a large number of installations.

One of the reasons why I argue so strongly to use RHDS in commercial environments is that it includes all dependencies in an isolated manner, and doesn't change interfaces often. IMO, those features make it currently the most suitable server for commercial usage.

To the people who are complaining about the filesystem layout, understand that FDS is the basis for a complex and _stable_ commercial product. You don't just start fiddling with it if it ain't broken... Moving to FHS is certainly not going to increase sales or product stability, although it might make a few systems engineers who have never heard of RFC 2251 happy for a day or two.

Or am I wrong to assume that these type of proposed changes would also make it into RHDS?

--
mike