[Fedora-directory-users] certutil: generating new .db files for server

Brian Jones bkjones at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:50:04 UTC 2006

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply. I've clarified inline:

On 7/10/06, Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com> wrote:

> Brian Jones wrote:
>
> > 3. Is it true that I cannot reuse a signed server certificate in a newly
> > created database, even if the new database has the same root ca
> > installed as
> > the old one? I need to generate a request every time I run certutil -N?
>
> The signed certificate is only half of what you need. You also need the
> private key. Without more information on what you're trying to do I
> can't really make a recommendation.

Right, I know I need the root ca and the server cert (signed by said root
ca) both installed in the db. What I'm doing is this:

I have /opt/fedora-ds/alias set up as a symlink to alias-test1, alias-test2,
etc. I have a couple of these directories around for... um.... testing :)

What I want to confirm is whether or not I can use, for example, the cert
request I generated (using certutil -R) for the db files in alias-test1 for
the new db files created in alias-test2.

Thanks for the input.
brian.