[Fedora-directory-users] FHS packaging - combine old and new with symlinks

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Wed Jul 19 15:52:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 15:52 -0600, Richard Megginson wrote:

> > Then editing the /etc/named.conf file no longer modifies the real
> > source file at /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.
> That's bad, and exactly what would/could happen with my proposal.  Even
> if we swap the direction of the symlinks, it would still break in the
> other way i.e. if you tried to do the same thing under
> /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-instance/config - and if you tried to
> backup/restore with tar, you would either be getting only the symlinks,
> or if following symlinks, they would be broken upon restore.
>
> So, is there a way to have both?  If not symlinks, then what?

If the FHS layout is used, but all of the actual directory data winds up
under something like /var/lib/fedora-ds/<instance-name>/, wouldn't that
suffice for making backup/restores easy and the like?  Maybe there would
also be a corresponding /etc/fedora-ds/<instance-name> directory for
config files and such, but the actual DBs under /var.  I normally don't
worry too much about backing up executables and libraries that are just
stock RPMs as I can always recreate that portion of the environment.
The data is certainly the other story.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>