[Fedora-directory-users] data design for inactive users?

Scott rinconsystems at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 18:01:00 UTC 2006

In our ldap we do not delete users, we deactivate them
with nsaccountlock. All user entries are in the same
branch of the tree. In this data structure, all uid's
are unique and are not used again.

Ok well now our ldap is getting large and I would like
active users separate from inactive users to provide
better search performance. AFAIK lot of services keep
uid's so they cannot be used again. What's a good
design approach? Do inactive users move to another
tree? Maybe move to another server and use a referral
somehow. What do ldap admins do with all this dead
weight? :)