[Fedora-directory-users] Getting Started, POSIX accounts

Susan logastellus at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 01:12:32 UTC 2006

--- Michael Christian <mchristianjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys.  I've installed FDS and the setup is killing me.  Essentially all I
> want to use it for is Posix accounts and groups and I'm having trouble with
> groups.
>
> Getting user accounts is no problem, the attributes are aleady there, but
> posix groups are from scratch?
>
> If someone could point me in the right direction, or send me a link I would
> appreciate it.  I've combed through the RHDS documentation and not been able
> to find what I was looking for.

Groups are easy, what are you having problems with?

Just run migrate_group.pl script on /etc/group on a representative machine, that'll produce an
LDIF you can import into your FDS.  Verify that the dn is correct and load it in.

It puts all posix groups into an ou=Groups, which I found convenient.  From the UI, you can see
all your posix groups grouped together under Groups.

If you are adding groups from the console, remember to highlight the Groups OU, right click, add
new, "other" posix group.  I also change the index to the cn, instead of gid, that makes it easier
to read.

You just have to decide whether you want to continue with the Linux standard where every user is a
member of his own group.  As the number of users grows, that becomes a PITA.