[Fedora-directory-users] Trouble setting up pam passthru plugin

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu May 18 14:24:48 UTC 2006

Paul Engle wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I'm trying to set up our FDS 1.0.2 server  to do the PAM passthrough
> authentication for simple binds so that we don't have to store passwords in
> the DS. I'm new to FDS, but not to LDAP or kerberos. Something is wonky,
> though, and I'm at a loss.
>
> I've compiled the pam-passthru-plugin.so library, and configured it
> according to the README doc for that plugin. The plugin is showing as
> loaded, and the response I'm getting back indicates that it is trying to do
> the check, so I don't think it's a config issue with the plugin.
>
> However, I'm getting conflicting log entries as to the success of the
> authentication. The slapd error logs are showing:
>
> [15/May/2006:14:22:49 -0500] pam_passthru-plugin - Expired PAM password for
> user id [pengle], bind DN [uid=pengle,ou=people,dc=rice,dc=edu]: reset
> required
>
> But, /var/log/messages is reporting:
>
> May 15 14:22:49 ldap1 ns-slapd: pam_krb5[1832]: authentication succeeds for
> 'pengle' (pengle at RICE.EDU)
>
> So, it looks like the kerberos auth is working, but whatever response the
> ldap server is getting isn't being interpreted as a success.
>
> I'm not a pam guru, so my /etc/pam.d/ldapserver is very basic:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth        required     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_krb5.so debug no_user_check
>
> In case it's an issue, this is a RHEL4 box. And the command I'm testing
> with is
>
> /usr/bin/ldapsearch -x -W -H 'ldaps://ldap1.rice.edu:636' -D
> "uid=pengle,ou=People,dc=rice,dc=edu" -b "ou=People,dc=rice,dc=edu"
> '(uid=pengle)'
>
> Have I done something obviously wrong? If anyone has gotten this to work
> and can give me some pointers, I'd be very grateful. As far as I know, our
> kerberos repository doesn't do password aging, so I don't understand the
> error.

I'm not really sure.
# You can enable plug-in debug logging which may give some more
indication of the problem, but this will slow down the server.  So if
you need to run with logging on in production, do so only for a short
period of time.  http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/FAQ#Troubleshooting
# pam_passthru-plugin also allows for some thing called "exclude
suffix". So you can create a suffix dc=local and have a user called
uid=test and see if that succeeds.
# Are there any 8 bit characters in your password?