[Fedora-directory-users] Trouble setting up pam passthru plugin

Paul Engle pengle at rice.edu
Mon May 15 20:27:16 UTC 2006

Hi all,
  I'm trying to set up our FDS 1.0.2 server  to do the PAM passthrough
authentication for simple binds so that we don't have to store passwords in
the DS. I'm new to FDS, but not to LDAP or kerberos. Something is wonky,
though, and I'm at a loss.

I've compiled the pam-passthru-plugin.so library, and configured it
according to the README doc for that plugin. The plugin is showing as
loaded, and the response I'm getting back indicates that it is trying to do
the check, so I don't think it's a config issue with the plugin.

However, I'm getting conflicting log entries as to the success of the
authentication. The slapd error logs are showing:

[15/May/2006:14:22:49 -0500] pam_passthru-plugin - Expired PAM password for
user id [pengle], bind DN [uid=pengle,ou=people,dc=rice,dc=edu]: reset
required

But, /var/log/messages is reporting:

May 15 14:22:49 ldap1 ns-slapd: pam_krb5[1832]: authentication succeeds for
'pengle' (pengle at RICE.EDU)

So, it looks like the kerberos auth is working, but whatever response the
ldap server is getting isn't being interpreted as a success.

I'm not a pam guru, so my /etc/pam.d/ldapserver is very basic:

#%PAM-1.0
auth        required     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_krb5.so debug no_user_check

In case it's an issue, this is a RHEL4 box. And the command I'm testing
with is

/usr/bin/ldapsearch -x -W -H 'ldaps://ldap1.rice.edu:636' -D
"uid=pengle,ou=People,dc=rice,dc=edu" -b "ou=People,dc=rice,dc=edu"
'(uid=pengle)'

Have I done something obviously wrong? If anyone has gotten this to work
and can give me some pointers, I'd be very grateful. As far as I know, our
kerberos repository doesn't do password aging, so I don't understand the
error.

Thanks for your time,
  -paul

- --
Paul D. Engle                | Rice University
Sr. Systems Administrator    | Information Technology - MS119
(713) 348-4702               | P.O. Box 1892
pengle at rice.edu              | Houston, TX 77251-1892