[Fedora-directory-users] Multiple database links (chaining)

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Mon May 29 17:38:40 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

I'm having a problem that I'm going to go bald trying to solve, it seems...

I've been tasked with creating a single searchable suffix for two
different trees (dc=one,dc=com and dc=two,dc=com for arguments sake).
The application that needs this suffix doesn't deal with referals, so
my first (and the obvious, I thought) solution won't work.

I delved into the Administrator's Guide and discovered the section on
chained suffixes (ie., Directory Links), and it seems good.  The
problem?  I can't make it work right.

On a test server, I've set up a "master" suffix, "dc=com", and created
directory links to "dc=one,dc=com" and "dc=two,dc=com".  I've added
the proxy ACI on the One and Two LDAP directories.  When I search the
test server, I can successfully find objects in the One tree, so it's
half working -- but the Two tree doesn't work.  I've check and
re-checked and everything appears kosher.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Is there an easier way to do this?
Should I give up and take up basket weaving as a nice, harmless job,
and forget systems administration altogether?

 _  Ben Steeves                                    bcs at metacon.ca
( ) The ASCII ribbon campaign                  ben.steeves at unb.ca
 X     against HTML e-mail                     GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9
/ \ http://www.metacon.ca/ascii      Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves