[Fedora-directory-users] Nodes separated by Firewalls

Nathaniel Hall lists at spider-security.net
Thu Nov 16 22:42:42 UTC 2006

List,

We currently have two master nodes and one read-only node.  They are protected from the Internet by
two firewalls.  I would like to see about placing another read-only node in another location that is
protected by a third firewall.  Shown below:

Master 1 --\    |          |            |          |            |          |
Master 2 -------|Firewall 1|------------|Firewall 2|--Internet--|Firewall 3|------Slave 2
Slave 1 ---/    |          |            |          |            |          |

Master 1, Master 2, and Slave 1 have private IPs th at are NATed before going to the Internet.
Slave 2 has a public IP address.  I need to know if this is possible without giving either master or
Slave 1 a public IP address.  Of course this will be over SSL, so that will help.  Would Fedora
Directory Server connect to Slave 2 or does Slave 2 have to connect to one of the Masters?

--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GCFW GCIA GCIH GCFA