[Fedora-directory-users] Windows Sync Error

Glenn glenn at mail.txwes.edu
Wed Nov 29 22:20:12 UTC 2006

David, Richard - Thanks for the pointers.  I took the ldif created by
Windows Sync for one user and stripped it completely, then added lines from
the original until it would import into Active Directory.  I was not able to
make ldapmodify connect to the AD server, so I continued to use ldifde on
the AD server itself.  I made a few import rules from this experience:

- LDAP attributes cannot be blank.  In the example below, I had to remove
the entries for userparameters, userworkstations, homeDirectory and
profilepath for the file to import.

- I had to remove the codepage entry.  I don't know whether AD objects to
the attribute, the data, and/or the extra colon.

- My directory includes the domain name and a colon in samaccountname.  I
don't know whether to blame this on the ldif export from Netscape Directory
or the import to DS 7.1, but AD does not allow colons in this data.  Also,
the domain name should not be included, because this attribute is mapped
to "pre-W2000 logon name" in Active Directory, which does not include the
domain name.

- The userprincipalname attribute has the same problem.

The Windows Sync documentation indicates that Windows Sync will populate an
Active Directory, but I find this difficult to believe given the
limitations noted above.  I admit that I haven't tried working with the
schema.  I'm thinking it might be faster to export an ldif from the
Directory Server, clean it up with a word processor, and import it into AD
using the Microsoft ldifde tool.

But will synchronization work any better than initialization, given the
differences that will exist between data in the two directories?  Should I
remove all the entries from the Directory Server after cleaning up the ldif,
and import that into the Directory Server as well as the AD?   -Glenn.

Example:

dn: cn=John Doe,ou=Domain Users,dc=ad,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalperson
objectClass: user