[Fedora-directory-users] Trying to run FDS on Core 5

Dick Steflik steflik at binghamton.edu
Thu Oct 5 17:42:04 UTC 2006

All,
I'm trying to run FDS for a class I teach, I have previously used the
Netscape Directory Server on NT but the hard drive on that machine went
belly up this last summer. I decided that Linux would be the way to go
for a replacement machine. Anyway, I downloaded the
fedora-ds-1.0.2-1FC5.i386.opt.rpm and proceded with the install. Install
seemed to go OK; I started slapd and tried a test query and it worked. I
want to load a doctored up version of the old Airius.ldif file so I
started looking for the admin-server. Anyway it seems like there are
supposed to be start/stop scripts on /opt/fedora-ds but there
aren't....any ideas what might have happened to them? or where I get
them from.

Also, I'm running a 512Mb machine which should be OK; but when I try to
start up the Java based console I get an "out of memory" message. I
would like  to think that since only about 30 people are ever going to
be doing  ldap queries against it that 512Mb of RAM should be OK (it was
for the old Netscape Directory Server). I could live without the Java
based console if I could get the admin server running as that is the way
I always administerd the old machine.

Dick Steflik
Binghamton University
Binghamton, New York