[Fedora-directory-users] Command-line Consumer Initialization

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 20:14:20 UTC 2006

Mike Jackson wrote:
> jamsda wrote:
>> Ok, so I'm guessing this is what happens behind the
>> scenes (remove/re-create) when I do an "initialize
>> consumer" from the GUI right?
>
> It is, for all intents and purposes, the functional equivalent.
Not exactly.  Do perform a replica init, all you need is the DN of the
replication agreement.
Step 1 - find the DN of the replication agreement with ldapsearch:
ldapsearch -D "cn=directory manager" -w password -s sub -b cn=config
'(objectclass=nsds5ReplicationAgreement)' cn
Then choose the repl agreement you are interested in

Step 2 - initiate repl init using ldapmodify
ldapmodify -D "cn=directory manager" -w password
dn: dn of your repl agreement from step 1
changetype: modify
replace: nsds5BeginReplicaRefresh
nsds5BeginReplicaRefresh: start

That starts the replica refresh (init).

Step 3 - view repl init status with ldapsearch - remember to escape or
quote the quotes in the repl agreement DN
ldapsearch -D "cn=directory manager" -w password -s base -b "dn of your
repl agreement" "objectclass=*" nsds5BeginReplicaRefresh
nsds5replicaUpdateInProgress nsds5ReplicaLastInitStart
nsds5ReplicaLastInitEnd nsds5ReplicaLastInitStatus

The init is complete when the nsds5BeginReplicaRefresh attribute is
absent.  Then you can check the status with nsds5ReplicaLastInitStatus,
which should contain the string "Total update succeeded" if successful.
If there are errors, check the error logs on the supplier and consumer.