[Fedora-directory-users] Root changing user password

Greg Copeland GCopeland at efjohnson.com
Thu Oct 26 15:04:34 UTC 2006

I've quickly checked the archive and I can find people having trouble
with users changing their own password but not the other way around.
Here, users can change their own password without issue but root fails.
What do I need to do to allow root, using the passwd command on RHES 4,
to change user passwords?

I've tried setting rootbinddn in my /etc/ldap.conf file.  Without an
/etc/ldap.secret file, I observe an error in my logs, complaining about
the missing ldap.secret file.  When I create it, the error goes away but
the passwd command still fails with, "passwd: Authentication token
manipulation error".  In the logs I can observe, "passwd[23689]:
pam_ldap: error trying to bind (Invalid credentials)."  I've tried
placing the admin password in cleartext, and base64 in the ldap.secret
file.

Frankly, I'd rather root be prompted for the LDAP admin password than
the password be stored in a file anyways.  Is this possible?

Long of the short, what do I need to configure to allow root to change
other user's LDAP passwords?

Best Regards,

Greg Copeland