[Fedora-directory-users] SASL authentication

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Fri Sep 8 15:04:14 UTC 2006

> I skimmed RFC 4513 (sans coffee) and didn't find the section you're
> referring to.  I did see that RFC 4422 (last paragraph of section 3.6)
> seems to suggest that OS X's and OpenLDAP's behavior is legitimate and
> useful.

I'm not sure I read that there. I see this :

It is also important that the server can be configured such that the outcome
message will not distinguish between a valid user with invalid credentials
and an invalid user.

This is eactly what I was saying and would appear to be the opposite of
what OpenLDAP have implemented.

Back and bit in that same paragraph it says :

The outcome is not successful if
  -  the client's credentials could not be verified,

which again seems to be in line with the FDS implementation because
it tells the client that the authentication attempt was unsuccessful.